Brushing and flossing are the basics of any healthy oral regimen. But what else could someone need? Dr. Jas Arora of Oxford Smiles in Marlborough, MA, offers regular checkups and professional cleanings to protect your teeth against serious illnesses like gum disease.
WHAT IS GUM DISEASE?
Gum disease is periodontal disease, a condition in which gums and surrounding tissue become swollen, red, and may bleed. You may have heard of gingivitis, which is also inflammation of the gums from plaque accumulating on the surface of teeth. Gingivitis is reversible, but if left untreated can progress to periodontitis. Periodontitis causes permanent damage because of bone loss that cannot be recovered.
TIPS FOR PREVENTING GUM DISEASE
You need to have a healthy oral regimen. That’s what it comes down to.
1. Floss regularly. And by regular basis, I mean every day at least once before bedtime.
2. Quite smoking because it hurts your lungs and your teeth. Smoking reduces your immunity making you more vulnerable to infections, like gum disease.
3. Regular cleanings at your Marlborough dentist’s office are just smart. This allows your dentist to remove plaque and tartar you cannot remove by just brushing to prevent bacteria from infecting oral tissue.
4. This brings us to brushing. You need to brush every day, twice a day at least, using a soft-bristled toothbrush to remove food debris.
5. Drink plenty of water and skip the sugar. Water washes away food particles that linger around and may cause infections, and sugar has bacteria that attack oral tissue so avoiding sugary foods and beverages is a good preventive measure.
6. Use fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash to protect teeth against cavities
WOULD YOU LIKE TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT WITH YOUR DENTIST?
If you’d like to schedule an appointment with Dr. Jas Arora, then you should contact your Oxford Smiles dentist in Marlborough, MA, at (508) 251-1701.